This flag carried by the 73rd New York Volunteers, or “Fourth Excelsior,” includes 34 gold-painted stars in a pattern
typically found on national colors from the Schuylkill Arsenal in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Organized July-October
1861 in New York City’s Bowery neighborhood, the regiment included recruits from among the city’s volunteer
firemen to earn the moniker, “Second Fire Zouaves,” in deference to Colonel Elmer Ellsworth’s original “Fire
Zouaves” regiment formed in April 1861. Mustered out on June 29, 1865, the regiment deposited this flag with state
authorities in August 1865. (2008.0189).